Monday, March 24, 2008

An American Story

Saturday I picked up the book The Lyncher In Me -A Search for Redemption in the Face of History by Warren Read.

"A man's search for his family's history turns up a vengeful ancestor..."

According to the AP review, “The Lyncher in Me, an unflinching memoir that traces Read's family dysfunction back through the generations to the night of the 1920 Duluth, Minnesota lynchings of three black young men. Warren Read's great grandfather was the leader of the lynch mob.)

The reviewer also noted, “The Lyncher in Me has enough fascinating history and raw emotion to be sufficient on its face. The story might have been better served had Read condensed the aftermath into tighter, more meaningful prose.”

“In his poignant memoir, Read explores the perspectives of both the victims and the perpetrators of this heinous crime. He investigates the impact–the denial, anger, and alcoholism–that the long-held secret of his ancestors had on his family, calling even himself to task. Through this examination of the generations affected by one horrific night, he discovers that to fully realize ourselves we must take responsibility for ‘our deep-seated fears that lead us to emotional, social, or physical violence,’” according to the book description.

Side Note: Without searching in depth I've discovered more than I ever wanted to know about the leaves which fell from my family tree.

I posted the above at another site and a friend asked me did I think that we are all capable of monstrosities under the right set of circumstances. And that he struggles with this one.

My Response..."Yes I do believe this because history has recorded the atrocities which humanity has committed against humanity. But history has also recorded that which brings out the best in us. I too have struggled with this and from my life experiences I've attained an understanding of (not acceptance) what a human being will do to prove that what they've been taught to believe is worth dying for, worth killing for. If I ever found myself in a such a situation under the right set of circumstances I hope that I would have it in me to remain true to my core values."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home